Senior Software Engineer, Python Platform Team
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Job TitleSenior Software Engineer, Python Platform Team
The Python Platforms team builds foundational infrastructure and core libraries to accelerate the velocity of Wayfair’s 750+ Python engineers. Python Platforms reports into the Developer Acceleration organization and works closely with other infrastructure and DevOps teams to define best practices for deploying and maintaining Python applications.
Through this role, you will directly engage with engineering teams that rely on the Python libraries, docker infrastructure, and application templates maintained by our team. You can expect to meet and strategize with our users to identify gaps in our product offering, then own the implementation strategy from measurement and to delivery. To learn more about our team, check out this blog post (https://tech.wayfair.com/2018/06/the-python-platform-startup) or Podcast.__init__ episode (https://www.pythonpodcast.com/python-adoption-wayfair-episode-236).
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
What You’ll Do:
- Application Deployment: Build tools for managing deployable applications and developing in containerized environments that mirror production (Publishing base docker images, helm charts, CI/CD integrations, automated manylinux wheel building).
- Core Libraries: Maintain python packages that bridge the gap between internal Wayfair systems and open source software.
- Application Templates: Curate application templates for common use cases (e.g. deployable HTTP application, streaming data producer/consumer, Python package, etc.), that propagate best-practice patterns and allow developers to initialize and deploy new microservices to production in minutes.
- Auxiliary Engineering: Partner directly with other Python teams to foster development practices that increase velocity and build a sustained culture of quality.
What You’ll Need:
- Proficiency in Python 3 and knowledge of Python best practices and antipatterns
- History of delivering high value software systems with high test coverage
- Ability to work effectively with people and enjoy helping others achieve their goals.
Experience with the following would also be a plus:
- Python wheel building and the manylinux standard
- Best practices for maintaining and releasing semantically-versioned libraries
- Helm (chart development) and Docker (image optimization)
- Buildkite or similar CI/CD platforms
About the Company
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
- Contact: James Curtin
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: https://www.wayfair.com/careers/job/senior-software-engineer--python-platforms/4818870002?gh_src=psf_jobs