Python Language Specialist
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Job TitlePython Language Specialist
You are a Python specialist with deep knowledge of Python internals including the C core. You will help maintain Python 2 now that the Python community has officially planned to end support for it. Work will include addressing security issues when identified, back porting applicable patches to the Python interpreter from Python 3 to 2 when possible.
Our day to day work practices are centered around GitHub, pull requests, code review, CI for testing, and agile development with Pivotal Tracker as our project management tool. We’re always looking to improve our practices and we expect you to help us to do so.
Our team is scattered around the US and Canada, so we coordinate with each other and the rest of the company using Slack for chat, Highfive for video calls and screen sharing, Pivotal Tracker, and Google Drive.
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- Deep understanding of the Python 2 codebase
- Excellent written and spoken skills, both technical and non-technical. You’ll need to work closely with your developer teammates, as well as be able to have coherent conversations with people from QA, sales, marketing, and other parts of the company.
- A willingness to engage in the process of defining our work through conversations with product management, other engineering teams, and the rest of the company.
If you have experience with any of the following please make sure to highlight it in your cover letter:
- You are a maintainer, contributor to the core Python code base or have a popular Python based Open Source project. We make special accommodations to help you maintain those activities.
- Experience working on a build system.
- Agile processes, including breaking large projects up into smaller stories, estimation, working in branches (GitHub Flow), code review, and CI.
- C or C++ code and debugging compiler issues across platforms.
- Perl, Python, Tcl, or PHP, especially an understanding of their respective language communities and their toolchains.
- Big iron operating systems including Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX.
- Build tools such as make, autotools, bazel, etc.
About the Company
ActiveState has a collaborative, respectful, and professional culture. We’re all about working together to find the best solutions, and making sure that the experience of doing so is positive for everyone involved. There is a commitment from the CEO on down to making work at ActiveState a great experience for all.
Our company is a team of 50+ and growing, with 2/3rds of the positions in technical roles including software development and QA. We maintain a set of core, overlapping hours, but we’re flexible with specific start and end times and are understanding about appointments and life events.
Our vision is to have an ActiveState solution on every device on every planet, so we certainly don’t lack for ambition! But even though we’re ambitious we don’t expect work to become your life. We know you will do your best work in a positive environment free from death marches.
What’s In It For You Working for a stable and growing company that offers the environment and personal growth potential of a start-up. The chance to work with a smart, passionate team of people. Competitive salary, bonus, and stock option plan. Comprehensive benefits package and health/wellness credit program.