Build and Release Engineer
ActiveState Software, Inc
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Job TitleBuild and Release Engineer
ActiveState is reinventing build engineering with an on-demand SaaS Platform and CLI tool that lets developers automate the building of any runtime environment for any open source language ecosystem on Linux, Windows and MacOS. In Beta right now, we support Python and Perl and we're hiring to add more languages and packages! We’re building an ambitious language distribution platform so that no engineer ever has to suffer dependency hell again, and we need your help to do it!
What You’ll Be Doing
As an integral member of the Build Engineering Team within Customer Success, you will leverage the ActiveState Platform to deliver value to our enterprise customers.
We are looking for people who are experienced in building Python and Perl run-time environments for Windows and Linux. You will have a strong understanding of compilers such as GCC, G++, MSVC and build tools such as make, autotools, and bazel.
This is an opportunity to leverage your build engineering skills and gain business exposure and experience in customer success, to what degree is entirely up to you. If you want to focus on excelling in build engineering that’s great too!
- Telecommuting is OK
- Agencies are OK
- Able to build complete Python Runtime Environments
- Understand how to build C and C++ code on Windows and Linux
- Experience with Microsoft Visual Studio C/C++ compilers
- Experience with Linux compilers including GCC and G++
- Excellent written and spoken skills, both technical and non-technical. You’ll need to work closely with your developer teammates, as well as be able to have coherent conversations with people from QA, sales, marketing, and other parts of the company.
- A willingness to engage in the process of defining requirements through conversations with product management, other engineering teams, and the rest of the company.
If you have experience with any of the following please make sure to highlight it in your cover letter:
- Knowledge or involvement with Python, Perl, Tcl, or Ruby language communities and their toolchains
- Use of build tools such as make, autotools, bazel, etc.
- Experience with the Msys2 tools on Windows
- Agile processes, including breaking large projects up into smaller stories, estimation, working in branches (GitHub Flow), code review, and CI
- Experience writing Perl code
- Building software for MacOS
- Experience with Big Iron operating systems including Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX
About the Company
ActiveState has a collaborative, respectful, and professional culture. We’re all about working together to find the best solutions, and making sure that the experience of doing so is positive for everyone involved.
Our company is a team of 50+ and growing, with 2/3rds of the positions in technical roles. We maintain a set of core, overlapping hours, but we’re flexible with specific start and end times and are understanding about appointments and life events.
For more about working at ActiveState and our Glassdoor rating go to: www.activestate.com/careers
- Contact: Patrick Brown
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: https://www.activestate.com/company/careers/?gh_jid=4708906002#grnhse_app