Senior Engineer - Developer Tooling
ActiveState Software, Inc
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Job TitleSenior Engineer - Developer Tooling
As an engineer on the Developer Tooling team your job is to reduce the complexity of developing applications and microservices for the cloud and on-prem. You will master the latest cluster technologies like Kubernetes and Mesos. You will create continuous integration and deployment strategies. Ultimately developers at ActiveState will love you because you’ve abstracted the gory details of networking away. They will simply worry about writing good code, good tests and pushing commits.
Our day to day work practices are centered around GitHub, pull requests, code review, CI for testing, and agile development with Pivotal Tracker as our project management tool. We’re always looking to improve our practices and we expect you to help us to do so.
- Telecommuting is OK
- Agencies are OK
- Experience creating and maintaining complex software systems along with the ability to design non-trivial applications and components from scratch.
- The ability to write clean, well-tested code with clear documentation.
- Deep experience with at least one programming language, and shallow experience with several.
- Excellent written and spoken skills, both technical and non-technical. You’ll need to work closely with your developer teammates, as well as be able to have coherent conversations with people from QA, sales, marketing, and other parts of the company.
- A willingness to engage in the process of defining our work through conversations with product management, other engineering teams, and the rest of the company.
- The ability to help others on the team become better at their jobs through mentoring, thoughtful code reviews, and generally being a team player.
If you have experience with any of the following please make sure to highlight it in your cover letter:
- Agile processes, including breaking large projects up into smaller stories, estimation, working in branches (GitHub Flow), code review, and CI.
- IT automation framework such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Salt etc...
- Microservices and message queues.
- Docker, Mesos, DCOS, Kubernetes.
About the Company
ActiveState has a collaborative, respectful, and professional culture. We’re all about working together to find the best solutions, and making sure that the experience of doing so is positive for everyone involved.
Our company is a team of 50+ and growing, with 2/3rds of the positions in technical roles including software development and QA. We maintain a set of core, overlapping hours, but we’re flexible with specific start and end times and are understanding about appointments and life events.
For more about working at ActiveState and our Glassdoor rating go to: www.activestate.com/careers
- Contact: Patrick Brown
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://www.activestate.com/company/careers/?gh_jid=4334356002#grnhse_app