Python Language Specialist - Build Engineer
ActiveState Software, Inc
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Job TitlePython Language Specialist - Build Engineer
ActiveState Platform - made by developers for developers! We are reinventing build engineering with an on-demand SaaS Platform and CLI tool that lets developers automate the building of any runtime environment using any open source language ecosystem on any platform. In Beta right now, we support Python and Perl and we're hiring to add more languages and packages! We’re building an ambitious language distribution platform so that no engineer ever has to suffer dependency hell again, and we need your help maintaining Python 2 past its End of Life!
What You’ll Be Doing
You are a Python specialist with deep knowledge of Python internals including the C core. You will help maintain Python 2 now that the Python community has officially planned to end support for it. Work will include addressing security issues when identified, back porting applicable patches to the Python interpreter from Python 3 to 2 when possible.
Our day to day work practices are centered around GitHub, pull requests, code review, CI for testing, and agile development with Pivotal Tracker as our project management tool. We’re always looking to improve our practices and we expect you to help us to do so.
We like to use open source software whenever possible, and we also like to contribute back to the open source ecosystem. We embrace open sourcing both libraries and tools developed in-house as long as those are not mission-critical code.
- Telecommuting is OK
- Agencies are OK
- Deep understanding of the Python 2 codebase
- Excellent written and spoken skills, both technical and non-technical. You’ll need to work closely with your developer teammates, as well as be able to have coherent conversations with people from QA, sales, marketing, and other parts of the company.
- A willingness to engage in the process of defining our work through conversations with product management, other engineering teams, and the rest of the company.
If you have experience with any of the following please make sure to highlight it in your cover letter:
- You are a maintainer, contributor to the core Python code base or have a popular Python based Open Source project. We make special accommodations to help you maintain those activities.
- Experience working on a build system.
- Agile processes, including breaking large projects up into smaller stories, estimation, working in branches (GitHub Flow), code review, and CI.
- C or C++ code and debugging compiler issues across platforms.
- Perl, Python, Tcl, or PHP, especially an understanding of their respective language communities and their toolchains.
- Big iron operating systems including Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX.
- Build tools such as make, autotools, bazel, etc.
About the Company
ActiveState has a collaborative, respectful, and professional culture. We’re all about working together to find the best solutions, and making sure that the experience of doing so is positive for everyone involved.
Our company is a team of 50+ and growing, with 2/3rds of the positions in technical roles including software development and QA. We maintain a set of core, overlapping hours, but we’re flexible with specific start and end times and are understanding about appointments and life events.
For more about working at ActiveState and our Glassdoor rating go to: www.activestate.com/careers
- Contact: Patrick Brown
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://www.activestate.com/company/careers/?gh_jid=4334353002#grnhse_app