Matplotlib Research Software Engineering Fellow
Job TitleMatplotlib Research Software Engineering Fellow
- 12 month contract
- 75k$ + benefits (total compensation 94k$).
- full-time remote
The total compensation is not negotiable. This position will be contracted by NumFOCUS and you must be authorized to work where you are residing.
“12 months of a yet-to-be identified software engineer to support all aspects of the proposal but focusing on maintenance, prototyping, and engaging down-stream libraries.”
- Reduce the issue and pull request backlog in collaboration with the community and core development team. This will involve a combination of bug-triage, PR review, bug-fixes, documentation, and implementing minor new features across the full scope of Matplotlib.
- Interact with downstream projects to collect requirements and develop prototypes. This insight will be integrated into the API design work.
1 page cover letter
- a Matplotlib figure you are particularly proud of (with code if possible)
- ex: scientific paper figure, tutorial/blog post figure, game
Please submit your application at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe6tAOpHWHRpQEPOUTzs8F_nbX7lJRgmP5i08gQuRvSdXX_4Q/viewform?pli=1
Applications close Jan 3, 2020
- Telecommuting is OK
- Agencies are OK
What we are looking for (required)
- Experience developing tools for scientific computing in Python
- ability to work as part of a team
- be comfortable working publicly
- ability to read / write / speak English fluently
- familiarity with git or other version control
Nice to have
- Experience in contributing to open source
- Experience designing and implementing library APIs
- Experience in software testing
- Familiarity with structured data libraries such as pandas or xarray
- Experience in a biological field
- Degree in biology, physical sciences, computer science, math, or related fields or equivalent work experience.
- Familiarity with C/C++
About the Company
Matplotlib is the fundamental data visualization library for the scientific Python Ecosystem, used in conjunction with other foundational tools like NumPy and SciPy by over a million users. Matplotlib is used across a wide spectrum of fields and we expect this user base to grow as Python continues to be adopted in an ever growing number of disciplines.
- Contact: Tom and Hannah
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: https://discourse.matplotlib.org/t/now-hiring-matplotlib-research-software-engineering-fellow/20701