Visiting Research Scientist
School of Information Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Champaign, IL, USA
Job TitleVisiting Research Scientist
This position will apply advanced knowledge in computing to partner with research faculty to develop software enabling an open source platform extend its capabilities for scientific analysis and visualizations across domains.
We’re looking to invest in the yt (https://yt-project.org/) infrastructure, and bring it more closely in line with the modern pydata ecosystem. This would mean working to utilize and interoperate with libraries like dask and xarray, and will include designing and documenting software changes and infrastructure. Plus, it will also involve working with libraries used throughout both the scientific ecosystem and in industry in modern data science. And, you’ll get to work with fun people in both yt community and the pydata community! All the work will be open source and this project is committed to contributing to the broader ecosystem wherever we can.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Invent and apply novel approaches, algorithms or implementations to improve the capabilities of the yt platform across domains.
- Develop connections between yt and components in the modern python data ecosystem, including dask, xarray, jupyterlab and others.
- Analyze software performance data, make recommendations to research partners about best deployment of code for data visualization.
- Drive research software development by guaranteeing milestones are achieved, recognizing emergent project needs, and taking the initiative to ensure these are addressed and resolved.
- Integrate collaborative input and design new approaches and techniques to address project specific needs and critical technological challenges.
- Work with open source communities, including yt.
- Direct and train hourly employees and student interns.
- Contribute to sponsor required technical reports.
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, or related field
- Preferred: Master’s degree
- Required: Experience in relevant software development•Experience with python, git, and github
- Four or more years experience in relevant software development
- Experience with pydata packages such as dask, xarray, jupyterlab, cython, etco
- Experience working with domain scientists (astronomy, geophysics, etc)
- Contributions toward research publications
- Contributions toward open source software
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
A successful candidate will have:
- Strong drive to learn and independently develop new computational techniques that will advance research
- Commitment to open-source development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanor
- Strong working knowledge of one or more natural science disciplines
- Familiarity with HPC environments, containers, and parallel computing
This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional position with regular University benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. The starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Information about the School of Information Sciences and its programs may be found at http://ischool.illinois.edu/.
About the Company
The School of Information Sciences, the iSchool at Illinois, is home to world-class faculty, top-tier research, and academic programs consistently ranked highly by U.S. News & World Report. Our School advances a human-centered, interdisciplinary approach to the design and management of information systems and services. A leader in online education since 1996, we combine rigorous academics with real-time virtual classroom engagement to give our students the best educational experience possible. Our researchers address the opportunities and challenges of contemporary information technologies, and our graduates are leaders in the information professions.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
- Contact: Meagan Lang
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: https://jobs.illinois.edu/academic-job-board/job-details?jobID=123477&job=visiting-research-scientist-school-of-information-sciences-123477