Science Application Developer
Space Telescope Science Institute
Baltimore, MD, United States
Job TitleScience Application Developer
The Data Analysis Tools Branch at the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) seeks a Systems Software Engineer to help advance data-analysis tools for the James Webb Space Telescope and other missions.
Our data-analysis software is built primarily in python, with C providing performance enhancements where practical. STScI has been a major contributor to the open-source scientific python software stack, including numpy, scipy, matplotlib and Astropy.
We are particularly interested in candidates who can play a major role developing and maintaining some of the deep infrastructure of our software stack. This includes continuing to develop the Advanced Scientific Data Format (ASDF), as well as associated development of open-source schema to facilitate data interchange between observatories. Such work benefits from a strong computer-science background and does not require much or any astronomy background.
See the associated link for full details and to apply.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- Proficiency in advanced Python as well as at least one compiled language such as C, C++ (preferred), or Java or FORTRAN
- Using context managers, exception handling, iterators, decorators, closures and lambda functions, and threading
- Comfortable with writing unit tests and with test-driven development
- Comfortable developing primarily in and for a Unix/Linux environment (experience with supporting Python on Windows is a plus)
- Experience writing technical documentation using at least one of the Python documentation frameworks
- Experience with software library development and library API design and have developed and maintained large software projects with complicated interacting components, preferably in Python
- Proven success through the full software development lifecycle. This includes inception through operations and maintenance, requirements elicitation, collaborative design and iterative development, continuous integration, automated testing, and deployment
- Familiarity with git workflows and with at least one continuous-integration framework
- Familiarity with both binary data representations in CPU memory and with data-serialization standards such as XML, JSON and YAML
- Ideally you have practical experience with agile development and formal project management practices.
About the Company
STScI is the science operations center for several NASA missions, including the Hubble Space Telescope, the most famous space observatory in history. We also lead the science and mission operations for the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), planned to launch in 2021 and will perform parts of the science operations for the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST), in formulation for launch in the mid-2020s.
- Contact: Harry Ferguson
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/SPA1004AURA/JobBoard/93330e50-7b3a-4ba8-94f2-6f32360aa4e1/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=c976ecea-8b27-41ac-bfd9-a2a0a32bfd8c