Senior Software Engineer at Pace Scheduler
Naperville, IL, United States
Job TitleSenior Software Engineer at Pace Scheduler
- Full stack software development across all parts of our system. Our code base is still a manageable size and each person on our team should currently be able to work on any part of it. A majority of the work tends to be on the backend (Python/Django). We hope a vast majority of your time will be spent actually building software.
- Manage releases - Code review, perform final tests, merge code, resolve conflicts, deploy.
- Write specifications for new features, improvements, or bugs that will be handled by either yourself or another developer.
- Once you are fully up to speed, many of the items you will be working on will not be fully fleshed out specifications but just a loose idea that you will need to think deeply about in order to turn it into a new feature/improvement.
- Interact directly with customers and turn their needs into product ideas, specifications, and code. You will need to be smart about this and dig down to truly understand their underlying need, not just the enhancements they are proposing. Often we can address the underlying need in a more elegant manner than what the clients originally proposed.
- Help guide the direction of our technical team. You will be a central piece of our technology team and your leadership will be critical for our long term success.
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Salary: $90k-$140k depending on experience, with numerous opportunities for advancement as you grow.
- Flexibility and agility of a small team (5 people) with the financial backing of a larger company (120 people).
- New-hire personal stipend that can be used for work related items, such as mice/keyboard, webcam, desk, chair, etc.
- Learning opportunities at all corners. We want you to help our product grow, but we also want our company to help YOU grow.
- Recognition and support of mental health, a solid work-life balance, and the instrumental role they both play in a person’s life and work.
- Product Milestone rewards. As our product grows, we award team members with various forms of compensation, typically in the form of gift cards, stipends, or equipment upgrades.
We are a remotely distributed development team, but have a slight preference to hiring people who live near Chicago. Even if we are primarily working in different locations, it is fun to have the option of face-to-face time.
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- Smart, hard working, and thorough. This trumps just about everything else, including specific technology knowledge, as those skills can be learned.
- Be very self-sufficient. You will be a senior engineer in a key role and will find yourself at the center of everything. You will need to be able to prioritize what is meaningful and what is not to make the best decisions on behalf of the company.
- Attention to detail. The problems we are tackling are not trivial, so it’s important to think through edge cases and how clients may actually use any new functionality. It is harder to modify software after it’s out in the wild, so it’s important to think deeply right from the start.
- Intrigue. We want you to learn and grow while you work with us. We encourage and facilitate learning opportunities for all our team members, as it benefits both you and the product. Lifelong learners are a perfect fit for our team, always looking for that next hill to climb or challenge to overcome.
- Discipline. We want our team members to have a healthy work-life balance, and the freedom to complete a task in the way that works best for them. We take the saying “Hire people you trust, trust the people you hire” seriously. We don’t want to micro-manage you, and you don’t want that either, so you need to be able to set tasks for yourself, devise tactics & strategies that you think will work best to accomplish those tasks, then carry-out those plans.
- As cliché as it sounds, you need to be able to work in a team. We are a smaller team (~5 people in total). Because of this, we need and thrive on effective, efficient communication. We all know each others habits, attitudes, and opinions, and leverage those to communicate as effectively as possible with one another. One of the primary benefits of being a small team is that we can maintain this meaningful level of communication and be agile at all times.
- Familiarity with Python/Django
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn Vue.js, Firestore, Postgres
- Database design
- Code architecture
Non-Required skills that would just be nice to have
- Dev-ops experience. We are hosted on Heroku so there is minimal work to be done here, but this experience is still nice to have.
- UI/UX design
- React Native experience
- iOS/Android deployment experience. We have a mobile app written in Vue.js in a thin React Native wrapper.
About the Company
- We are a software team of 5 people focused on a rapidly growing product called Pace Scheduler. We built this product in-house and it is currently going through a period of rapid adoption across the country. The team you would be a part of has been around for 5 years. We are based in Naperville, IL, but some employees live elsewhere and work remotely.
- We are part of a larger parent company, Pace Systems, which has been around since 1983. Pace Systems employs 120 people and deals in IT, Software, Security, Audio Visual, and other disciplines.
- Pace Scheduler is built specifically for emergency services (Police, EMS, Fire, etc.) as they have intricate rules, stipulations, and contractual obligations that simply cannot be handled by plain-old scheduling programs. We have some innovative ways to streamline these clients’ workflows. Our clients are a pleasure to work with and send us tons of positive feedback that we enjoy.
- We are growing at an ever-increasing rate, which is fun, challenging, and exciting. Departments using our software range in size from 15 users, all the way to several hundred users. Naturally, our largest portion of clients are located in the Chicagoland area, however we have clients spread all over the U.S., from California to New York, and we hope to continue growing for a long time. Our clients have unique needs so we are constantly evolving.