Backend Python/SQL Engineer
Waltham, MA, USA
Job TitleBackend Python/SQL Engineer
SAVVI Financial is looking for an experienced Python developer to be a core contributor to our rapidly growing personal financial planning and management platform at our Waltham, MA office.
You will be responsible for the server side of our web and mobile applications. As a back-end developer, you’ll ensure system consistency and improve user experience as you develop and maintain functional and stable web API endpoints.
Do you like solving complex problems with the latest technologies in a collegial environment? Would you thrive in a rapidly growing business where opportunities abound for the motivated? If yes, let’s talk!
Our backend tech stack:
- Python 3 (aiohttp, asyncpg, pytest)
- AWS (CloudFormation, ECS, EC2, RDS, S3, CloudFront)
As a backend engineer you'll be:
- Developing new API endpoints with unit tests in Python 3
- Writing SQL queries, functions and triggers in PostgreSQL
- Collaborating with product team in product discovery and delivery
- Performing both automated and manual quality assurance testing
- Enhancing CloudFormation-driven AWS deployment infrastructure
- Doing everything you do with a security-first mindset
- Refactoring and improving existing code
Some skills we think you'll need to succeed in this role:
- Proven ability with Python 3 with an understanding of core asyncio principles
- Expertise in RESTful Web APIs
- Proficient in SQL and able/willing to work directly with PostgreSQL instead of through an ORM
- Understanding of application security, threat models, and threat mitigation techniques
- Experience with AWS services and, ideally, infrastructure-as-code tools like CloudFormation
- Familiarity with Docker and orchestration platforms like AWS ECS or Kubernetes
- Comfortable working with Git and GitHub or GitLab
- Able to understand product objectives and translate them into technical requirements
- Able to work independently and creatively while actively collaborating with front-end developers and product designers
- A knack for solving problems and debugging
- Excellent communication skills
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field of study
- 4 years software engineering experience
About the Company
SAVVI Financial is a digital financial advice platform which gives our customers a personalized roadmap to achieve their financial goals and the turn-by-turn directions to stay on track.
We are MIT-trained, Ph.D. mathematicians, engineers and data scientists, specializing in quantitative finance, applied analytics, and robust optimization and we're on a mission to democratize high-quality financial advice. For over 20 years our core team has applied our expertise to solve real-world problems in the areas of finance, healthcare, and transportation systems. At SAVVI, we focus all of our academic expertise, our portfolio management experience, and the major advancements in algorithmic models and computational processing to solve the incredible and complex challenge of personal financial decision-making.