Senior Python Engineer
Arlington, Virginia, United States of America
Job TitleSenior Python Engineer
We're a small team responsible for big projects. We're hiring an experienced Python engineer to build video products on the web. For this role, "build" means:
- Direct architecture
- Review code
- Write code
We use Python across PBS Digital products. In this role, you would use Python in some of the following ways:
- Django for pbs.org and the player that streams our videos
- GraphQL (via Graphene) for a content curation tool
- JSON APIs (via Django Rest Framework) for a variety of client-server interactions
The person in this role is an engineer that works closely with the design and product management teams. Perks include amazing co-workers, a humane work-life balance, and meaningful work. If you're interested in delivering content meant to "educate, inspire, entertain, and express the diversity of perspectives," please consider yourself a candidate.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
What you have
You want to share the challenge of delivering millions of video streams every week. You can speak to the interactions between the web clients and their upstream dependencies. You have architected these upstream dependencies in Python. An ideal candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Enthusiastic: We work at a company that effects positive change. Let's act like it!
- Collaborative: You're smart and communicative enough to mentor junior engineers. You can accept feedback from engineers that have had different experiences than you.
- Humbly opinionated: You bring what you know to the table and are willing to learn more.
- Lifelong learner: You're driven by an inquisitive nature.
Come work with us
To us, "Senior" means that you've shepherded several projects by:
- Making decisions on the tech stack and living with the consequences
- Trailblazing a path through the tricky bits of code for both the product and less experienced developers
- Coordinating engineers on your project and communicating with teams of dependency projects
If you want to work with a group of people who are smart and get things done, please start by clicking the button below. Please include some samples of your work in your application: code, blog posts, and links to personal or professional sites.
About the Company
PBS and our member stations are America’s largest classroom, the nation’s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.
We invite you to find out more about America’s largest public media enterprise.