Raglan, Waikato, New Zealand
Job TitleScientific Developer
We are currently seeking a talented Scientific Developer to join our Research and Development team. We are seeking a self-starter to work in our operational environment who will develop, and support core scientific software and systems related to automated workload for hindcast and forecast modelling platforms. You will create and develop quality source code and software design.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
To apply, you must have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences or a Geophysical / Environmental Sciences, or with equivalent experience
- Experience with the full life-cycle of software development (requirements, design, testing, development, deployment, operational support, etc.)
- Experience writing performant and well-designed code (at least 5+ years), with 2+ years of professional Python development
- Experience in web service development
- Database schema design and advanced usage (SQL, No-SQL, etc.)
- Comfortable supporting legacy software (Python 2.7)
- Familiar with working in remote Linux server environments, including basic system administration
- Ability to learn and apply cloud-based services and technologies
- Constructively relates to a wide range of people with open-mindedness and good-will
The following would be beneficial, but are not essential:
- Experience in multi-threaded, multi process, and asynchronous software development
- Geophysical Sciences background (Oceanography, Meteorology, Environmental Engineering, etc.)
- Kubernetes experience
- Cloud provider experience
- Experience with container technologies (e.g. Docker)
- GIS background
- Familiarity with CF Conventions
- Worked in a DevOps environment
- Worked with distributed computing
- Experience with Geophysical data formats like NetCDF, HDF, GRIB
- Data API development experience
- Experience supporting operational services
About the Company
MetOcean Solutions, a division of New Zealand’s MetService, is a science-based consultancy and forecast supplier providing specialist numerical modelling and analytical solutions in meteorology and oceanography. With offices across New Zealand (Auckland, New Plymouth, Raglan, and Wellington) and in Sydney, Australia (MetraWeather) our international team works on projects and data analysis world-wide. We passionately believe in rigorous scientific method and in applying the latest information technology to data services. MetOcean occupies several niche marine consultancy and service roles and has a rapidly growing forecast and hindcast sector.
Our employees enjoy an open-office, upbeat culture within a coastal town environment in the North Island of New Zealand. This position would be primarily based in Raglan with some opportunity to work from other offices in the future. Raglan is a small beach side town on the West Coast, just a short drive west of Hamilton or a two-hour drive south of Auckland. It is known for its world-class surf, stunning scenery, beautiful beaches and inspiring arts.
Our company promotes a positive working environment to achieve our shared goals, supported by flexible hours to ensure a healthy work-life balance. We encourage our people to bring fresh ideas to the table, rise to any challenge, and remain passionate about our products and the company mission.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a growing environment with an interesting and challenging mix of applied research, science and technology. You must have a post-graduate qualification (minimum of M.Sc.) in Computer Sciences or a Geophysical/Environmental Sciences.