Senior Devops Engineer
Job TitleSenior Devops Engineer
We are looking for a senior devops engineer with either strong (Python) programming skills and a pronounced interest in (GNU/Linux) system administration or strong system administration skills and backend programming experience, to grow our operations team. The team is in charge of guaranteeing reliability of our day-by-day archiving activities, integrity of the Software Heritage archive in collaboration with mirror operators, and maintaining an efficient development environment for our developers.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
The right candidate will:
- be a strong critical thinker and efficient problem solver,
- be able to communicate and work collaboratively with team members,
- be able to dig deeply into technical details, configurations, and scripting,
- lead incident response, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts across the entire infrastructure,
- have a knack for keeping the complexity of large, heterogeneous distributed system under control.
As senior devops engineer you will primarily work with the following technologies:
- Debian GNU/Linux,
- Distributed architecture (RabbitMQ, Kafka),
- Icinga/Prometheus/ELK monitoring,
- Proxmox, KVM virtualization, LXC and Docker containers,
- large scale object storage (Ceph, cloud-based object storages),
- AWS and Azure,
- POSIX shell scripting,
- Python programming.
Working knowledge or interest of the following techniques and technologies would be a plus:
- highly scalable architectures,
- microservice based architectures,
- event driven infrastructures,
- IaaS/PaaS cloud offerings,
- Debian packaging,
- REST API principles,
- C system programming.
A successful candidate will have strong system administrator skills and programming fluency in at least a couple of system- and/or application-level programming languages, as well as a solid track record of participation in existing FOSS projects and communities.
All the code developed as part of this position will be developed openly and released under a FOSS license.
About the Company
Software Heritage is an ambitious nonprofit, entirely Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) project that aims at collecting, organizing, preserving for the very long term, and sharing all publicly available software in source code form, together with the corresponding complete development history (e.g., from a Version Control System) where available. The Software Heritage archive already contains about 6 billion unique source code files and 1 billion commits, retrieved from more than 80 million software projects.