Playa Vista, CA, United States
Job TitleBackend Engineer
Do you want to build products that connect thousands of food orderers to restaurants every day? Do you love writing well formatted, unit-tested, and documented code? Does the thought of continuous integration and agile workflow encourage you to craft high-quality and resilient code? Do you feel security, availability, and maintainability are naturally linked to a solid application architecture?
If all() of your answers to the above == True, keep reading; this might be the product building environment you have been searching for.
Our Product and Technology:
Our backend applications are written in Python 2.7 and 3.6, and we have plans to upgrade to 3.6 globally. The RESTful APIs we develop enable several client-facing platforms, ranging from our website products built with React & Redux to our native mobile applications. Depending on our use case, we store data in MySQL RDS, Elasticsearch or Redis. Our infrastructure-as-code platform is hosted by Amazon Web Services, developed and orchestrated using Ansible and Terraform. We automate as much as we can, utilizing Jenkins for deployments and Docker to build our applications.
About the Position:
ChowNow’s Engineering Team has built a reliable, stable, and modern platform enabling restaurant owners to accept pickup and delivery orders online. Our “quality product first” approach to engineering drives the team to succeed and has contributed to the success and growth of the company. We are looking for similar minded engineers who care deeply about the product, the customers, the team members, and the codebase itself. As Backend Engineer, you will develop solutions to interesting technology problems, explore exciting growth opportunities and have a real impact on our product.
- Within 3 Months, You'll..
- Learn our business model and how it translates to platform architecture and features. We work close with product and it influences how we think about the code.
- Build, launch, and support your first feature in one of our many products. We ship with iterative agility.
- Master development patterns and collaborative processes. We work together to make work efficient.
- Write internal documentation and test your features and systems. We take responsibility for communication and quality.
- Within 6 Months, You'll..
- Have made a valued impact on multiple products across our platform. We celebrate our success by measuring our impact, internally and externally.
- Understand major feature areas of our applications and be comfortable navigating the stack and infrastructure. We are all generalists, but we specialize in minor feature areas too.
- Have participated in the architecture and implementation of new developer and user-facing features. We communicate and collaborate on our architecture to achieve security, scalability, and maximum learning.
- Within 12 Months, You'll..
- Build within reliable estimates. We know this takes time, and we strive to be accurate with each other.
- Feel comfortable as a knowledge leader of a particular part of ChowNow platform, contributing teaching and continuing to learn. We want to learn as much as we teach.
- Provide feedback during code-reviews of prospective engineers and listen in on telephone screening. We will teach you our interviewing methods.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- You Should Apply If:
- You have experience building SaaS products, e-commerce or similar online platforms
- You are excited about new technologies, and at the same time pragmatic when it comes to adoption of the latest innovations
- You constantly work to get better at your craft
- You find excitement in learning new business models and transferring such knowledge into beautiful software design
- You like collaborating with multiple stakeholders within and outside Engineering Team towards a common goal
- You make decisions based on data and evidence
- You enjoy iterative, agile development process with frequent releases
- You take great pleasure in writing quality, highly maintainable code
- You thrive in environments supporting your growth, and where you can support others
About the Company
At ChowNow, we are passionate about serving the needs of over 10,000 restaurants to help them compete in an increasingly technical world. Our team works on products focused on restaurant clients and their diners (who transact over $1,000,000 daily on the ChowNow platform).
We believe positive relationships make our team able to do more with less. You will collaborate, learn, teach, and experiment with new approaches to getting big things done together.
Our team is located in the Playa Vista neighborhood and tech hub of Los Angeles — 5 minutes from both the beach and the freeways. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too. We’ve been named a Best Place to Work, have been certified as a Great Place to Work, and have a whole bunch of happy employees on Glassdoor.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
- About Our Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- Open Vacation Policy; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- Generous parental leave (primary and secondary)
- Employer contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap