Junior Python Web Developer
London / South Coast of England, London, United Kingdom
Job TitleJunior Python Web Developer
One year’s experience needed. Your location can be remote or London. If you’re remote, occasional meetings in London or South of England might be desirable.
If you have a relevant higher level degree or more than one year of experience in professional Python development and you are looking for a great opportunity to join a growing startup, this role could be perfect for you.
We are an Open Data company, so if you’re motivated to see how data can be used to democratise governments and to improve outcomes for citizens around the world, we’d especially love to hear from you.
Joining our startup means that you will be exposed to a far wider range of responsibilities than working in a traditional development environment. This will require learning new skills on the fly, and seeking help from our more experienced developers when required. The reward for the successful candidate is the possibility of becoming a key, first-tier member of a technology startup with global ambitions. We are happy to work with you remotely, our Senior Developer is currently sitting on a beach in Thailand, so provided you’re an excellent communicator, and a good developer we don’t mind where you live.
- Development of software to gather and standardise data from multiple sources, all written in Python
- Amending and improving OpenOpps.com, including refining UX and providing new functionality
- Development of code using Pandas, Numpy and other analytical Python libraries
- Maintenance and monitoring of Heroku systems and processes
- Conducting research and analysis on our data
- Writing and optimizing unit and integration tests
- Investigating machine learning and other tools to improve data linking and data quality
- Work closely with upper management to help us make good decisions
- Producing algorithms to assist all aspects of business development
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- 1+ years of experience within a software development or data science environment, or a higher level degree in an associated subject
- Impeccable English written and verbal communications skills
- Experience of working with SQL databases (PostgreSQL preferred).
- Flexible work approach and excitement to learn new things
- A passion for new technologies and data science
We'd like it if you had this:
- An interest in Open Data
- An interest in the way Governments work
- Familiar with Heroku or other cloud computing services
- Familiar with web scraping
About the Company
We're a small, friendly team of five people. Ian (London and South Coast), the Founder, who helps run everything and defines how the business is run, Helen (London) who keeps the show on the road, directing research and project managing our work, Sim (Brighton, Lisbon, Thailand) who is our lead developer, Erin (Lisbon) who writes scrapers and helps with the data mapping and David (Lisbon) who writes scrapers, data mapping and helps with research. We've picked up so many projects that we need some more help, (we're also for some data analysts), so you'll be joining a busy team with lots to achieve.
We run both https://www.spendnetwork.com and https://openopps.com, where we publish open data about the way the Governments spend money. Our goal is to make every public tender freely available on the web.
Our sites and the analysis we do help people to understand how Government spends money. Sometimes we work with Government to help them improve their purchasing, sometimes we work with NGOs to help combat fraud and corruption, sometimes we work with companies to help them grow.
We're looking forwards to welcoming a bright, conscientious person to our great little team.