Python Developer - Data
Map of Agriculture
Oxford, United Kingdom
Job TitlePython Developer - Data
Working with very large quantities of near-real-time data from a wide range of sources. You will be responsible for developing Python services and applications with the team members engaged in storing, organising, and using the data.
This role is a key developer position in a broader platform team which is responsible for knowledge engineering and semantics; information architecture; modelling and analytics; IT systems; and software development.
You will be strongly involved in the development, deployment (into the cloud), and administration of back-end systems implemented in Python and various frameworks such as Falcon and Celery. At the core of these service-oriented systems are various NoSQL and relational database management systems currently including MarkLogic and PostgreSQL, but possibly others in future. You would be contributing to extending, developing and maintaining these systems in collaboration with colleagues within the wider team and the rest of the company.
- No telecommuting
- Agencies are OK
- Experience with, and a passion for, developing service-orientated software using Python and various libraries and frameworks such as Falcon, Celery, NumPy and Pandas.
- Excellent coding and system conceptualisation skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Most importantly, a professional, responsible and ‘can do’ attitude. The Developer will be working with guidance from his or her functional manager and colleagues in NZ and the UK.
- Experience of systems and techniques for ensuring high quality code which follows style standards
- Experience of automated testing
- Experience of containerised and automated deployment
- Experience with AWS or other cloud infrastructure
- Knowledge and experience with RESTful architecture
- Knowledge of the Semantic Web and the notion of Linked Data within this context
- Experience with RDF, graph databases, NoSQL databases (MarkLogic or others e.g. MongoDB)
- Experience using and administrating PostgreSQL or other relational databases
- Experience with operating system administration of Windows and Linux
- Exposure to knowledge management using ontologies
- A Degree in Computer Science or similar
- Mapping/GIS technical experience
- Web server administration e.g. Nginx, Apache
- Background in agriculture, agricultural informatics or related field
About the Company
Map of Agriculture is a young and exciting technology company who are building a platform for managing and using data in the agricultural sector and connecting farmers with the suppliers, customers and everyone else in the agriculture information ecosystem. Map of Ag are searching for a Python Developer to join its rapidly growing Information Experience team – responsible for managing and processing documents and data. This is a technical role as a python developer, supporting the use of a NoSQL database, XML, and the Semantic Web for managing and processing unstructured data and documents.
The company is not bound by “out of the box” tools, and the Developer will be given the flexibility to research and engineer the best solutions appropriate to the challenge at hand.
- Contact: Dominic
- E-mail contact: UKrecruitment@mapof.ag