Senior Python Backend / Automation Engineer
Palo Alto, California, U.S.A
Job TitleSenior Python Backend / Automation Engineer
The position is based in Palo Alto, California where you will be joining Data Theorem’s core team of engineers. The work atmosphere will be very relaxed but your work and contributions will have a tremendous and direct impact on the company.
The main responsibility for this position is to implement web services and tools in Python in order to improve and extend our technology for scanning mobile Apps: from automatically downloading Apps from the iTunes/Play Stores, to pushing these Apps to our scanning pipeline and submitting the scan results to our customer-facing portal.
We want to make each step faster, better and more scalable so we can help developers quickly detect, understand and fix security issues affecting their mobile Apps.
Our tools and web services are written in Python, and most of them are running on Google Cloud (mainly App Engine).
We have a diverse range of very interesting projects, which will require the right engineer for this role to have an interest in both computer security, and the mobile ecosystems. Examples of projects include:
- Building a new REST Web service from scratch and deploying it to Google Cloud.
- Building a Python client to connect to a Web API that is private/undocumented (ie. requiring first to be reverse-engineered).
- Extending our mobile application scanners to add new security checks and features.
- Analyzing the memory usage of a Python library we developed, to figure out why it is using too much memory and perhaps find memory leaks.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- Significant experience implementing web services and APIs in Python.
- Experience with both Python 2 and 3, and good understanding of the differences.
- Experience with test-driven development and frameworks/technologies to test Python applications or web services.
- Bonus points: experience building web applications using the Google Cloud platform (App Engine, Datastore).
- Bonus points: experience writing code for one mobile platform (iOS, Android).
- No computer/information security experience required - we are more interested in software engineering backgrounds.
About the Company
Data Theorem scans & secures mobile applications. We have built a technology to automatically scan and detect security and privacy issues in mobile Apps (Android, iOS, Windows Phone). We work with large and small companies within various industries (financial, tech, healthcare, etc.) and help them make their Apps more secure.
We are a small (~20) team made of engineers only, and are a profitable and highly-technical company with some unique challenges. Every employee has a significant impact on the company's product and direction, and has the opportunity to grow and take ownership of the projects they care about.