Python Developer (Algorithms & Data Software Group)
Owlstone Medical Ltd
Cambridge or London, UK
Job TitlePython Developer (Algorithms & Data Software Group)
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B by 2020. We are currently seeking exceptional Python developers to join the Algorithms & Data Software Group, which is responsible for delivering diagnostic and detection algorithms for our projects.
Data is core to our work. As a developer in the group, you will be part of the team developing the software platform and tools used by our data scientists (and others across the company) for data capture, analysis, machine learning and algorithm development. The technology stack is python-based, and uses open source tools and libraries including RabbitMQ, Redis, Celery, Flask, Django, PyQt, Luigi, SQLAlchemy, Alembic and PostgreSQL. Test and documentation uses pytest and sphinx.
The work is varied and, depending on your skills and interests, you might find yourself:
- Developing & deploying services and APIs for data ingestion, data storage, ETL, querying and data processing
- Developing desktop software or browser-based UIs for data ingestion or data visualisation
- Optimizing performance of databases or software pipelines
- Contributing to selection of technology stack and architecture design for new tools
- Working with data scientists & algorithm developers to translate prototype code into production
- Working within multidisciplinary project teams to understand requirements & figure out how best to meet them
The role can be based either in our London office or in our Cambridge office.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
You will be comfortable in a culture of fast iteration and be able to demonstrate:
- Proficiency in python 3 and PostgreSQL
- Experience with some of the above technologies and tools, including experience with relational and non-relational databases, including database migrations & schema design
- Good familiarity with Linux (CentOS, Ubuntu), Git, Jenkins, Docker, docker-compose, Ansible and Vagrant
- Experience building complex applications using modern best practices (e.g. test-driven development, continuous integration, code reviews)
- Knowledge of software engineering principles: object-oriented design, distributed computing and software design patterns
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail
Most importantly, we are looking for someone who wants to make a difference, can figure out what the right problem to tackle next is and gets stuff done.
About the Company
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect. Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at a late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.