Backend Web Developer
Brighton, East Sussex, United Kingdom
Job TitleBackend Web Developer
Gamer Network is searching for a Backend Web Developer to join our experienced in-house Platform team.
The Platform team is in the middle of an ambitious project to unify Gamer Network’s award winning family of games sites on to a single common platform, utilising cutting edge technologies to equip the company with a strong foundation for the future. This is the opportunity for the right candidate to be instrumental in shaping that platform.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, approachable and encourage others to meet or exceed their own high standards. They will be keen to investigate, evaluate and build using new technologies quickly.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- Write correct, maintainable code that solves business problems.
- Build scalable web services/applications within our platform and deliver them to the business on schedule.
- Collaborate with peer developers to build technical specifications for platform projects.
- Work with the team to discuss and critique engineering decisions together; participating in activities like pair programming and code review.
- Ensure the continued correctness and performance of code through automated testing.
- Be knowledgeable of practical solutions to problems such as optimisation, data migrations, keeping code DRY, refactoring, testing and domain driven design.
- Evaluate new applications, libraries and tools with the potential to deliver notable commercial and/or productivity gains.
We expect candidates to show a strong grasp of the following:
- Fluency in a common web backend language. e.g. Python, Node.js, PHP, etc
- Capability of learning and building with new technologies quickly.
- Experience in building applications with web application frameworks.
- Knowledge of SQL and practical query optimisation.
The ideal candidate will have some experience in, or enthusiasm for learning the following: Building and consuming web services.
- Cache design, knowing when to use it at the object level, query level and web level.
- Scalable large system design.
- Working with service-oriented architectures and messaging/queueing technologies.
- Linux server administration and ops.
- Automated unit and acceptance testing.
We are looking for a candidate that is able to quickly get up to speed with any web technology, but you’ll have an advantage with experience of the following:
- Python, specifically django (and some PHP for legacy projects)
- Evented programming (Python asyncio or node.js)
- Work on a network of sites that serve billions of pageviews per year.
- A relaxed office environment well located near the North Laine area of Brighton and a short walk to the beach.
- Passionate colleagues -- across games editorial, events and sales -- who are a pleasure to work with.
- Flexible working.
- The opportunity to attend company-wide retreats to help run our world-class EGX games events in London and Birmingham.
About the Company
About Gamer Network
Founded in 1999, Gamer Network publishes a range of video games websites including Eurogamer.net, the world's leading independent video games website with local editions in seven European languages, and USGamer, our USA flagship multi-format games brand.
The company publishes market-leading trade resource GamesIndustry.biz, renowned PC gaming site RockPaperShotgun.com and popular YouTube channels including Outside Xbox and Digital Foundry. It also represents several partner websites including VG247.com and NintendoLife.com. In addition to its online publications, Gamer Network produces live public events and trade shows including EGX, the UK's largest gaming event, and its sister event EGX Rezzed.
Please visit www.gamer-network.net to find out more.
If you can demonstrate that you have the ability to do the job listed above, we’d love to hear from you!
Contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and a link to any code samples, a GitHub account or any portfolio site that might show some of your previous projects.
If you have any other questions about the role, please contact James Grant via email who will be delighted to assist you.
- Contact: James Grant
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: http://jobs.gamesindustry.biz/gamer-network/brighton/south-east/united-kingdom/uk-and-europe/backend-web-developer-python-gamer-network-id95311