Full Stack Developer
Vancouver or Toronto, BC or ON, Canada
Job TitleFull Stack Developer
Leadnow is looking for a talented developer to help us take our campaigns for social and environmental justice to the next level.
You will be responsible for maintaining our existing tech stack, as well as building and maintaining new campaign tools to reach new supporters and increase the impact of our members.
In the next year, you’ll play an integral role in a major update to Leadnow’s tech stack, including the launch of new tools for peer-to-peer SMS, mass distributed phone banking, and a distributed event / volunteer organizing tool.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- Ability to reliably plan and meet deadlines, but remain flexible to re-prioritize under changing circumstances
- Self awareness and eagerness to grow: You “know what you don’t know”, ask for help, and you’re committed to learning new things
- Likes teamwork, but works well independently
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to convey complex ideas briefly and simply -- including translating technical concepts into simple language for non-technical colleagues
- Curious, and a fearless learner and problem solver
- Strong integrity, humility, and discretion
- Excellence with Git, SVN, or related code-versioning systems.
- Write code and lead projects that span the entire software stack, including prototyping, rich front-end apps, APIs, background data processing, and cloud architecture.
- Several years of experience with Python, Django and the experience with other server-side Web applications frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, and/or the ability to learns bits or big chunks of others as needed.
- HTML/CSS: keeping up on the trends, but with an eye for the most robust, browser-compatible solutions for our basic layout and content. (Most of our front-ends use Bootstrap3.)
- Rock-solid understanding of the infrastructure behind a scaled deployment, and experience with multiple solutions for: servers, database setup and configuration, permissions, load balancing, CDNs, and security.
- Experience working with data, spreadsheets, and databases such as MySQL / PostgreSQL.
Bonus points (Nice to haves):
- Experience volunteering or working with political or non-profit campaigns
- Graphic design, and/or UX design experience
- A great sense of humor
- A flexible and friendly work environment
- Opportunities to collaborate on projects with international colleagues from Leadnow’s sister organizations around the globe, and will be eligible for professional development opportunities that include international travel!
- Purposeful work, that creates a tangible, measurable difference
- Leadnow is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, race, age, sex, sexual orientation or nature of disability
About the Company
Since our founding in 2011, Leadnow has been at the leading edge of leveraging technology to organize and empower thousands of everyday people across Canada to make a difference in the big fights of our time — fighting for economic and social justice, pushing for action on the climate crisis, and fixing our broken democracy.
If you’re like us, you think that most of our leaders, and almost all of our institutions, seem like they’re either making things worse, or just incapable of making things better.
Again, if you’re like us, you think that the hope for our future lies with the ability of people -- lots and lots of people -- to come together in new ways, challenge the power of the old systems, and build a more democratic, fair and just society.
At Leadnow.ca we’re a driving force in this transformation. Since we launched before the 2011 federal election, we’ve used technology to help hundreds of thousands of people across Canada come together for a strong democracy, fair economy and safe climate.
Now, we’re looking for an exceptional and values-aligned developer, to ensure Leadnow has the digital infrastructure needed to help our people-powered movement continue to punch above our weight.
We’re passionate about putting our members first: making people feel powerful enough to change the world is what drives us as a team. You’ll be a good fit with us if you keep an eye on the big picture, often spot opportunities that others miss, and are always willing to roll up your sleeves. If you’re politically aware, persistent, and a little bit scrappy, that’s even better.