Software Engineer: OpenStack | HPC (remote, within UK)
Bristol, South West England, UK
Job TitleSoftware Engineer: OpenStack | HPC (remote, within UK)
StackHPC Ltd is seeking new members for our engineering team to help implement our vision of high performance OpenStack for scientific computing customers. Our clients tackle some of the great scientific challenges of the modern age and StackHPC is proud to support them.
This role involves focusing on the monitoring, logging and telemetry requirements - both the best practice of well-run OpenStack infrastructure and more specifically on pushing the boundaries of how we understand and visualise the performance of scientific applications. This involves using cutting-edge technology to unlock the secrets of cloud performance.
You will need to be interested in understanding and developing the inner workings of cloud infrastructure, and how to develop it to accommodate the needs of the next generation of research computing. You should be self-disciplined and self-motivated, with strong analytical skills. Above all, you should work inclusively in a team.
Working at StackHPC you will become an active contributor to the open source community. You will be representing StackHPC both to customers and to other open source developers.
- Researching, designing and developing performant and scalable monitoring infrastructure
- Working with customers, sometimes on-site, on gathering telemetry data for application analysis
- Developing innovative new ways of presenting performance telemetry data
- Helping to improve operational resilience of OpenStack and identifying failure root causes
- Optionally, presenting your research at conferences and evangelising the work done by StackHPC
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
We're looking for:
- Strong technical knowledge of Linux-based cloud infrastructure technologies, such as; virtualisation, containerisation or software-defined networking (SDN)
- Understanding of the design of OpenStack services
- Experience with SQL database administration
- Development of applications that use or implement RESTful services
- Programming in Python to an advanced level
- System-level programming experience an advantage
- Experience of dynamic web interface development an advantage
- Communication skills (written and oral) an advantage
Our current technology mix - we'll help you get up to speed:
- OpenStack services: Kolla, TripleO, Monasca, Heat, Neutron, Horizon, Nova
- Supporting components: Grafana, Kafka, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, ElasticSearch, InfluxDB
System technologies: SR-IOV, RDMA, iSER
Salary and benefits:
- £40,000 - £70,000+ negotiable
- Pension contribution (TBD) | 25 days paid holiday | generous stock option scheme | completely flexible working practices | support for travel to conferences and delivering presentations | all development is upstream open source
About the Company
StackHPC is a small and dynamic consultancy that develops OpenStack capabilities for research computing use cases. Client focussed, we develop solutions that address the gaps in cloud for high performance research computing. We work actively with the OpenStack community to promote research computing; https://www.stackhpc.com/
We're a distributed team and we collaborate virtually. You may work anywhere that enables impromptu visits to Bristol and our customer sites (mainly in UK; business travel is expensed).
Our central Bristol location (Desklodge, Temple Way), is 5 minutes' walk from each of Bristol Temple Meads station, St Nicholas food market and Cabot Circus shopping centre.
Even if your CV isn't ready, please talk with Andrew at techfolk to find out more:
0117 318 2447 | email@example.com | @we_are_techfolk
RECRUITERS: StackHPC has selected techfolk as our recruitment partner and cold calling is not welcomed.
- Contact: Andrew Gifford
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: http://techfolk.co.uk/current-jobs/software-engineer-openstack-hpc-central-bristol-remote-tl216