Site IP address Directory
gatekeeper.dec.com 220.127.116.11 /pub/plan/python/cwi
ftp.uu.net 18.104.22.168 /languages/python
ftp.wustl.edu 22.214.171.124 /graphics/graphics/sgi-stuff/python
ftp.funet.fi 126.96.36.199 /pub/languages/python (old?)
ftp.fu-berlin.de 188.8.131.52 /pub/unix/languages/python (python* only)
Here's the NEWS section on Python 1.0.1:
==> Release 1.0.1 (15 February 1994) <==
* Many portability fixes should make it painless to build Python on
several new platforms, e.g. NeXT, SEQUENT, WATCOM, DOS, and Windows.
* Fixed test for <stdarg.h> -- this broke on some platforms.
* Fixed test for shared library dynalic loading -- this broke on SunOS
4.x using the GNU loader.
* Changed order and number of SVR4 networking libraries (it is now
-lsocket -linet -lnsl, if these libraries exist).
* Installing the build intermediate stages with "make libainstall" now
also installs config.c.in, Setup and makesetup, which are used by the
new Extensions mechanism.
* Improved README file contains more hints and new troubleshooting
* The built-in module strop now defines fast versions of three more
functions of the standard string module: atoi(), atol() and atof().
The strop versions of atoi() and atol() support an optional second
argument to specify the base (default 10). NOTE: you don't have to
explicitly import strop to use the faster versions -- the string
module contains code to let versions from stop override the default
* There is now a working Lib/dospath.py for those who use Python under
DOS (or Windows). Thanks, Jaap!
* There is now a working Modules/dosmodule.c for DOS (or Windows)
* Lib.os.py has been reorganized (making it ready for more operating
* Lib/ospath.py is now obsolete (use os.path instead).
* Many fixes to the tutorial to make it match Python 1.0. Thanks,
* Fixed Doc/Makefile, Doc/README and various scripts there.
* Added missing description of fdopen to Doc/libposix.tex.
* Made cleanup() global, for the benefit of embedded applications.
* Added parsing of addresses and dates to Lib/rfc822.py.
* Small fixes to Lib/aifc.py, Lib/sunau.py, Lib/tzparse.py to make
them usable at all.
* New module Lib/wave.py reads RIFF (*.wav) audio files.
* Module Lib/filewin.py moved to Lib/stdwin/filewin.py where it
* New options and comments for Modules/makesetup (used by new
* Misc/HYPE contains text of announcement of 1.0.0 in comp.lang.misc
* Fixed coredump in filter(None, 'abcdefg').
--Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl>