[XML-SIG] Advice On Testing With XML

Peter A. Bigot bigotp at acm.org
Fri Jul 10 00:46:50 CEST 2009

I don't grasp exactly what you're trying to do, but if you need a
program that generates XML documents that conform to a schema for which
date values are relative to today, I agree having the harness write the
older date seems to make sense.

If generateDS doesn't fully support all the XML Schema date types, you
could do that using PyXB with a program like this:

  import schema
  import pyxb.binding.datatypes as xsd
  import datetime

  delta = xsd.duration('P3D')

  s = schema.instance()
  s.setElt(datetime.date.today() - delta)
  print s.toxml()

with output:

assuming the schema is:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <xs:element name="instance" type="structure"/>
    <xs:complexType name="structure">
      <xs:sequence>
        <xs:element name="elt" minOccurs="0" type="xs:date"/>
      </xs:sequence>
    </xs:complexType>
  </xs:schema>

PyXB (see http://pyxb.sourceforge.net) is definitely beta software, but
it's coming along nicely.  It makes a strong effort to validate the data
written into the binding instances (in fact, a weakness is that you
can't stop it from trying to validate).  It can also handle very complex
schemas, such as those from OpenGIS.

If you really need to change the type of an element in a complex type at
runtime, it could be done by generating a customized binding (though
you'd have to modify the runtime support class
pyxb.binding.basis.element to allow this particular kind of customization).

Peter