[XML-SIG] problem installing pyxml on Vista 64

Robert Russell rrussell at adobe.com
Wed Aug 6 19:30:09 CEST 2008

Hi,

  I have a vista 64 bit OS installed with MS visual studio 2003 and
Active State python 2.5.  I am in need of the pyxml module but the
installer does not work.  The win installer complains at the beginning
that python 2.4 is not found in the registry.  (ActiveState 2.5 python
probably does not populate the registry the same way that stock
python.org's 2.4 would).  When I run the platform independent install by
typing "python setup.py build" I get this error after many files are
processed:

  File "C:\Python25\lib\distutils\msvccompiler.py", line 616, in
get_msvc_paths

    % (self.__root, self.__version))

AttributeError: MSVCCompiler instance has no attribute
'_MSVCCompiler__root'

I think if I install Python 2.4 it is going to collide unfavorably w/ my
ActiveState instance of python.  Any clues here would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rob