[XML-SIG] XMI, MOF and UML

Anastasios Hatzis ah at hatzis.de
Wed May 2 22:22:41 CEST 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 20:25, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> > Have anyone of you already worked on XMI transformation? I'm going to
> > re-engineer my lightweight MDA tool pyswarm SDK*), especially adding
> > support of XMI formats of other UML tools. Currently the tool does only
> > import XMI 2.1 files created with MagicDraw. It seems my plan means
> > plenty of work, including UML and MOF implementations. So I wanted to
> > know if someone in this list has experience with import/export of XMI
> > files and mapping between different XMI versions and the UML or MOF
> > versions they are representing.
>
> Martin Karlsch (www.karlsch.org) has written a framework called Frodo,
> which includes XMI support. You should contact him about details.

Martin,

thank you for your notice. I will contact Martin Karlsch as soon as I have
ordered the mess in my mind. ;)

I found his master thesis and (with some surprise) have seen your name along
with Markus Hillebrand's. Last week he mentioned such project (I'm sure now
that he referred to frodo). However, I had the feeling that probably it is
too challenging for my skill level, but I will try to understand the basic
principles, at least.

BTW, I have replaced PyXML Sax2 reader with xml.dom.minidom from Python
standard library, as you suggested on 2007-02-07 in this list. Hasn't been
much work to change and the new version (0.7.1) runs fine. I also noticed
that with minidom's parse() the generator is ~ 5 times faster than before,
where all time-saving seems to be originated from the XML parsing.

Many thanks for your advice.

Best regards,
Anastasios