[XML-SIG] [howto]create and add element in minidom

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 04:59:03 CET 2006

      http://www.lucasmanual.com/mywiki/

Would you know of similar easy howto for using xpath(element reference),
and  another one for traversing xml docs?

thx
Lucas

      Create and add elements

from xml.dom.minidom import parseString

    *

      creating new document, and root element at the same time.

doc = parseString(u'<top/>'.encode('UTF-8'))

    *

      print doc.toprettyxml() will show you how it looks

    *

      this would create:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<top/>

    *

      Now we reference to our <top/> element by:

top_element=doc.documentElement

    *

      We create another element by:

element1=doc.createElementNS(None,u'section1')

    *

      Add it under our top element by:

top_element.appendChild(element1)

    *

      Create another element and add it under element1

element1.appendChild(doc.createElementNS(None,u'subsection1'))

    *

      How to create a text node:

text1=doc.createTextNode(u'My first text')

    *

      Since we have no reference to subsection1. We start at reference
      to element1

element1.firstChild.appendChild(text1)

    *

      add second subelement:

element1.appendChild(doc.createElementNS(None,u'subsection2'))

    *

      create next text element, and add it to subsection2

text2=doc.createTextNode(u'My second text')
element1.lastChild.appendChild(text2)

    *

      We are working with references. To switch text in subsections, you
      could do:

element1.firstChild.appendChild(text2)
element1.lastChild.appendChild(text1)