[XML-SIG] Installation of XML package v0.8.3

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Sat Dec 2 01:30:22 CET 2006

[cc'ing the list again]

Yes, it's possible to install PyXML in a location separate from Python
installation.

1. set PYTHONPATH to ~/mypythonlibs/lib/python
2. python setup.py install --home=~/mypythonlibs

Note the "/lib/python" is on PYTHONPATH but *not* on --home.

PyXML will install 2 xmlproc scripts into ~/mypythonlibs/bin
(normally they'd go into /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin)
and everything else into ~/mypythonlibs/lib/python/_xmlplus.
(normally they'd go into Python's site-packages folder)

As long as PYTHONPATH is set you should be able to
access the new and extended libraries. A quick test that
should produce no error:

python -c "from xml import marshal"

Thanks to Jeremy Kloth for assistance getting this answer together for you.

By the way, what PyXML features are you planning to use?