[XML-SIG] New XML module

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Mon Nov 14 10:16:52 CET 2005

Uche Ogbuji sagte:

> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 19:53 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> At Elemental I've had a lot of success with a simple module that converts between Python data structures and XML. I
>> mentioned this code in a talk at EuroPython this summer and there was quite a bit of interest in it (despite my emphasis on
>> its limitations).
>> [...]
>
> Feels a bit like XIST.

It does indeed.

> Is the class def per element type mandatory?  If not, what do defaults look like?
>
> For my part, I think that there are so many XML processing idioms based on user preference that I'd balk at blessing any one.
>  In retrospect I think it was a mistake to even bless SAX and DOM by putting them in the stdlib.  I think that XML processing
> is parallel to Web frameworks in this respect.  I suppose an equivalent of BaseHTTPServer makes sense, but IMO minidom, SAX
> and pulldom already serve for that.

But BaseHTTPServer doesn't solve the Web framework mess, WSGI might.

So I wonder what a WSGI for XML processing tools might be. Maybe some kind of very minimal Pythonic tree API (i.e. a kind of
Pythonic DOM)? This API should be simple enough, so that ElementTree, lxml, XIST, Guido's tool etc. etc. can implement it
easily. Then we would need only one XPath implementation, only one Relax NG validation implementation etc.
> [...]

Bye,
   Walter Dörwald