[XML-SIG] XBEL DTD validation question

Carol Le chle at calpoly.edu
Tue May 24 21:16:38 CEST 2005

Dear XML-SIG,

I apologize if this is not the right place to direct my question, but
I have not been able to find any forums with support for XBEL.  If
this is not the write place to direct these questions, please let me
know where I can get some help.  :c)

I am working on a master's thesis that argues for a standard to be
established for internet bookmarks.  My thesis investigates XBEL as a
possible format for this standard.  As en exercise, I have written an
XML parser that transforms a Safari bookmarks file to an XBEL file.
However, when I try to validate the XBEL file with the DTD, I have
two re-occurring validation errors.

One error that I continually get throughout my XML document is
something like the following:
-- Attribute value "09BDE5A6-6CE7-4137-AD4D-5FC6D380BFD5" of type ID
must be a name
This happens for every <bookmark id="someID"> tag that I use where
someID does not start with a letter.  Does XBEL only allow name
ID's?  Safari uses these id's that can oftentimes start with a
number.  Does this mean that for XBEL, you cannot use Safari's ID's?

The second error that I get is something like the following:
-- Attribute "file-version" must be declared for element type
"metadata".
This occurs for every single <metadata> element I have.  For the
above error, for example, the metadata element was <metadata
owner="Safari" file-version="1"/>.  From reading the DTD and looking
at some XBEL examples, I was under the understanding that the
metadata attribute was so that you could put any application-specific
items.  However, all of my application-specific items are not
validating correctly.  Any suggestions?

I was unable to attach my xml file, as my email is getting reject as
spam.  So please let me know if you would like to see the XBEL file
I'm trying to validate.

Thank you very much -- I appreciate your help greatly!
Carol Le