[XML-SIG] How to convert my data in database to XML

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Thu May 5 23:59:28 CEST 2005

Your SQL database will support SQL commands like DESCRIBE TABLE.  For
MySQL I have used:
    cursor.execute( 'SHOW COLUMNS FROM %s' % tablename)
    for row in cursor.fetchall():
        fname = row[0]		# my live code also saved the type info

to build a dictionary of field names and types for a table to control
processing.

I presume your XML is supposed to look something like:

<tablename>
<record>
<fieldname1>value_1</fieldname1>
<fieldname2>value_2</fieldname2>
</record><record>
</tablename>

If that description fits what you are trying to do, then you should not
have too much difficulty coding up the pieces.  This glosses over
difficulties with XML character rules in tags and elements, encoding
binary data, etc.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp