[XML-SIG] DTD internal subset with Amara?

Uche Ogbuji Uche.Ogbuji at fourthought.com
Tue Mar 22 21:49:56 CET 2005

Sorry.  I let my attendance on this list slip a bit :-(  Overwhelmed
with work.  Honestly, though this is my second home, you're almost
always going to have quicker response posting ot the 4Suite list
( http://lists.fourthought.com/mailman/listinfo/4suite )

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 01:16 -0800, Brock Filer wrote:
> I've gone as far as my brain can take XSL, and so started experimenting
> with Amara.
> It's wonderful, but is there some way I can use it to output an
> internal DTD subset?

I've been working with Luis Morillas to get this right.  In CVS the
following does the trick:

  doc = binderytools.create_document(
      u"xsa",
      pubid=u"-//LM Garshol//DTD XML Software Autoupdate 1.0//EN//XML",
      sysid=u"http://www.404.net/xsa.dtd"
      )
  print doc.xml(indent=u'yes')

Which results in:

<!DOCTYPE xsa PUBLIC "-//LM Garshol//DTD XML Software Autoupdate
1.0//EN//XML" "http://www.404.net/xsa.dtd">
<xsa/>

> I need it to declare certain attributes as IDs and
> IDREFs for subsequent xsl processing. I know I could reference an
> external DTD, but I prefer to keep that important data in the document,
> more robust that way.

This is a harder one.  I think it's probably feasible, but I probably
couldn't say what the best API would be.  DO you have any thoughts of
how you'd imagine such an API?

> So I'm just sticking it in the file as a string.
> But that's hackish, and also means that my script needs to know the
> internal subset. I'd like to be able to just duplicate the declaration
> from the input document to the output doc.

But wouldn't you need to know the internal subset, anyway, so you could
call the update API to, say add an element declaration?

Use CSS to display XML, part 2 - http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss2-i.html
Introducing the Amara XML Toolkit - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/01/19/amara.html
Gems from the Mines: 2002 to 2003 - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/03/02/pyxml.html
Be humble, not imperial (in design) - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10286