[XML-SIG] Where to Start?

Greg Lindstrom greg.lindstrom at novasyshealth.com
Thu Mar 10 21:35:45 CET 2005

Hello-

I work at a small firm dealing with administering health care plans.  We
deal with a lot of records in the EDI X12 format, but I have downloaded
and installed a tool to convert the file to xml.  I've been around the
coding world going on 25 years now (I started in IBM 360 assembler) and
have seen many technologies come and go (and some hang on way beyond
their time).  I have heard many good things about XML and am here to ask
you -- the experts -- why I should be excited about using it.  In
particular, now that I have my data in XML format, what can I do with it
other than visualize it with my web browser?  Ideally, I would like to
yank out all information related to a given claim for processing.

I have XML Processing with Python (Sean McGrath, 2000, Prentice Hall)
which I'm guessing is out of date by now.  Where do I start to learn
about using XML to process my files?  How do I pull out data, and how do
I pull out related data?

I appreciate any and all help you can pass my way.

--greg

--
Greg Lindstrom               501 975.4859
Computer Programmer          greg.lindstrom at novasyshealth.com
NovaSys Health
Little Rock, Arkansas

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."  W.W.