[XML-SIG] Re: ANN: cElementTree 0.9.2 (january 15, 2005)

Uche Ogbuji Uche.Ogbuji at fourthought.com
Sat Jan 22 21:22:30 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 19:00 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
> "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:
>
> > Time for a new release.  The 0.9.2 release is 10-20% faster than 0.8 on
> > my benchmarks, and uses 5-15% less memory.  You can consider this to
> > be the first 1.0 release candidate.
> >
> > Here are some benchmark results, using a number of popular XML tool-
> > kits to parse a 3405k source file on my development machine:
>
> I'd be interested in the benchmark results for Uche Ogbuji's Amara
> XML toolkit, which seems to aim to target a similar audience as
> cElementTree ("Pythonic" XML processing). Is the benchmark code/data
> available anywhere?

A few notes:

1) Amara 0.9.2 had some crufty code that (unbeknownst to me) was killing
performance.  I removed it for 0.9.3 and saw a near 15X.  Fair
benchmarks should really start with 0.9.3.

2) Amara will never compete with cElementTree in raw performance until I
somehow conjure up the time to write it in C.  I wouldn't hold my breath
waiting for that.  Winning the raw benchmark race is not my intention
with Amara.  My goal is rather combining maximum Python idiom with
maximum declarative power.  I'll get another dramatic speedup in Amara
(3X-4X in my sandbox) once the next 4Suite release is out and I switch
to Jeremy Kloth's super-fast low-level C/Domlette/SAX implementation,
but even then I'll expect cElementTree to be faster.

Frankly, the speed of cElementTree amazes me.

Use CSS to display XML - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html
Introducing the Amara XML Toolkit - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/01/19/amara.html
Be humble, not imperial (in design) - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10286
UBL 1.0 - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think28.html