[XML-SIG] Assistant trouble shooting 'ImportError: No modulenamed dom.ext.reader'

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Aug 19 14:08:39 CEST 2005

Leif Hardison wrote:

> Fred, indeed that looks to be the problem...  The script runs now;
> however it takes forever to parse the input file.  Does anyone happen to
> have any generalized benchmarks on the performance one could expect from
> PyXML?
>
> The XML data files I'm working on currently are around 100MB in size and
> grow approximately 20MB per month if not more.

benchmarking XML tools is hard, and is a great way to get lots of nasty
mails from people who don't know anything about software engineering,
but here are some parse-only figures for common Python XML parsers:

    http://effbot.org/zone/celementtree.htm#benchmarks

if your XML files are mostly regular (e.g. uses a record-like structure), I
doubt you can beat cElementTree's iterparse function:

    http://effbot.org/zone/element-iterparse.htm

</F>