[XML-SIG] Parsing a unicode string

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Tue Oct 5 09:31:51 CEST 2004

On 05.10.2004, at 05:57, Mike Brown wrote:

> Parsers should have a way to be notified of encoding externally;
> by the rules of XML parsing as defined in the XML spec, such an
> external declaration takes precedence.

I'd also expect parsers to accept unicode string objects with no
encoding specification whatsoever. Decoding a Unicode encoding and
parsing XML are two distinct steps, so why not propose them as distinct
functions?

> The method you are using in the code above is obviously assuming
> a bit more than it should-- there might not be any line breaks
> or an XML declaration at all. A regular expression would be better.

Yes, but this is for code that knows where its XML data comes from.
Just an excuse for being lazy :-)

Konrad.