[XML-SIG] XML Validation

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 18 16:07:45 EDT 2004

Jason Mobarak wrote:
> In short: what methods do you use to validate proper structure of an XML
> document?

I don't believe in validation, atleast not as an online activity. This
is like typing in Python: you don't declare types, you just use the
values, and if your assumptions about the interface of the objects
are wrong, you get an exception. For XML, that means that if you only
need to look at a part of the document, don't complain that the rest
doesn't follow some predefined structure.

> However, DTDs seem limited, I haven't seen that they can verify the kind
> of complex structure that I might want, am I wrong?

Hard to tell. I don't know what complex structure you may want. DTDs can
support quite complex structures.

Regards,
Martin