[XML-SIG] Change in reporting of CDATA sections

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 18 16:02:11 EDT 2004

Bob Kline wrote:
> I was hoping that someone in this forum
> might know where I could read about that reason (and ideally, the
> reasoning behind the old behavior, too).

Ah, just ask :-) The current implementation tries to implement the
DOM Level 3 Load-Store specification, which gives the application
control over various details of how precisely the DOM tree is
created. One such detail is whether CDATA sections are represented
by text nodes or CDATA section nodes. The default for this setting
is "on" (i.e. do create CDATA section nodes).

The old implementation did not create CDATA section nodes, because,
when it was first implemented, minidom did not even have CDATA
section nodes. When they were added, the creation process was not
changed.

In any case, the old implementation also predates DOM L3 LS (but
that is not the reason for not creating CDATA section nodes).

Regards,
Martin