[XML-SIG] Questions about XBEL(licenses, namespaces, etc)

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Tue Jul 20 14:49:03 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 19:45, Jumpei Aoki wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I do a programming for hobby,
> and I want to create a bookmark interchange software for my own study.
> I think XBEL is a great format to use, and I wish to use this format,
> but a few questions came along and I was wondering if you could help.
>
> 1) Is there are "namespaces" for these XBEL elements?
> If so, is it "http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/xbel/"?
> If it does not exist, could I use the above as the namespace,
> or do I have to leave the namespace out?

There is no namespace.

> 2) If I have enough skill, I would want to create a
> freeware and distribute it over the net.
> Is there are licenses for XBEL?  In other words,
> is there anything that I need to do if I use XBEL in my software?
> I read http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/xbel/ but I could not find
> any statements about licenses.

The XBEL DTD is public domain.

> 3) Am I free to extend XBEL?  I don't think I would need to, but
> if there is need, could I extend XBEL and add some other elements?

Yes, you are free, and in fact XBEL already provides some handy slots
for extension.

Perspective on XML: Steady steps spell success with Google - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=9663
Use XML namespaces with care - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-namcar.html
Managing XML libraries - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=9160