[XML-SIG] Does anyone do DOM navigation anymore?

Bob Kline bkline at rksystems.com
Fri Jul 9 19:48:14 CEST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Chris Irish wrote:

> This may be a little late, but I try to stay away from both SAX & DOM
> whenever possible.  I too have found XPATH to be the easiest/fastest
> parser I've come across.  When I write some GUI apps that need to do a
> lot of XML parsing I find SAX to be a pain in the butt and DOM will
> slow down my programs quite alot.  Especially if I need to parse one
> XML file to get info to find or lookup some other XML file.  Maybe
> it's just me but when someone uses a program I've written I don't want
> them to have to sit there wondering if the app froze or something
> else.  If anyone hasen't given XPATH a look/try I recommend it highly.

Which implementation of XPath are you using?  Do you have benchmark
figures showing it to be faster than DOM.  My understanding (which may
not be correct) is that XPath is generally implemented as a layer over
the DOM, which of course would mean that by definition it could not be
faster than the DOM alone.  I'll be happy to have this understanding
demonstrated to be incorrect, but I'd prefer numbers over anecdotal
reports.

Thanks.

--
Bob Kline