[XML-SIG] Does anyone do DOM navigation anymore?

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 12:37:22 CEST 2004

I've spent the last few days tinkering with DOM trees and the DOM API. A
couple of years back I wrote a fairly complex application which found the
data it required using this nextSibling, firstChild, sort of navigation. I
recall the development experience wasn't a terribly happy one, and I have
always presumed that XPATH was largely invented to get past all this mucking
about.

So it occurs to me to ask on the SIG list: do people still use the original
DOM style navigation? When is it preferable to XPATH? Why, in short, is the
whole "document hopping" idea not deprecated?!