[XML-SIG] XSV / Zope - help needed

Henry S. Thompson ht at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 09:18:03 EST 2004

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake at acm.org> writes:

> Andrew Maclean writes:
>  > My problem is that Zope uses Python21 and XSV uses Python 22.  I've
>
> Zope 2.6.x officially uses Python 2.1.x, but... we use Python 2.3.x
> for pretty much everything now, including Zope 2.6.3.  I'd suggest
> picking up the just-released Zope 2.6.3 and testing it with your site,
> because that's what we'd use, if we didn't use Zope 2.7 (for which we
> support Python 2.3.3 to begin with).  Information on the Zope 2.6.3
> release is available at:

I'm trying to help Andrew with his problem, but finding information
about building/installing Zope 2.6.3 with Python 2.2 (or 2.3) under
Windows hard to come by -- the information in the release for
building/running was pretty nearly invisible.

So I tried unpacking the source distribution, then

 > python setup.py install

which didn't fail, at great length :-), then

 > python z2.py

which exited silently after a while, with no sign of a server running.

Any advice on how to help out here would be welcome.

Oops, I spoke too soon.  Tried a bit harder, discovered that although
w_pcgi.py assumed I was running under un*x and tried to do run
configure, wo_pcgi.py was a bit better -- some problems with the space
in Program Files paths.  It crashed trying to run setup.py build_ext
-i, so I did that by hand, commented it out, and it completed.

Now I could do

 > python z2.py

and get prompted to login when I try to browse to
localhost:8080/manage as directed.  However, server immediately
crashes with a 130 error code.

Launching it again, however, and trying just localhost:8080 seems to
work!

I would strongly suggest that someone on the Zope team package up a
cleaned up/approved version of the above sequence of steps and include
them in the release documentation, for those of us stuck running on
Windoz.

Further advice on how to do this better/cleaner of course still
welcome -- next I'll try adding XSV.

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team
	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht at cogsci.ed.ac.uk