[XML-SIG] xml.dom.ext.reader.HtmlLib memory leak?

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Fri Aug 27 16:05:24 CEST 2004

It's very unPythonic binding to require manual ref counting and memory
management.  That's why this need has surprised me and others.

As to sending doc patches and joining more mailing lists, that's not
likely to happen.  I have my own large Python/C/XML library to maintain,
and scarcely enough time for that.  I do cover the libraries of others'
in my Python/XML column for XML.com, though, which is where, for
example, I ran into problems I hint at with libxml2.  I simply report to
my readers what I encounter wearing a user's hat.  I put a lot of work
into reading existing docs, searching archives and general googling.  If
I can't figure out how to effectively use a library that way, I say so.

But I'm not interested right now in a debate on the merits and demerits
of libxml2's Python binding.  I just wanted to be sure that people were
aware of the need for memory management in completion to the code you
posted here (since I've been bitten myself).  I think you've covered the
subject adequately.

Thanks.

Meet me at XMLOpen Sept 21-23 2004, Cambridge, UK.  http://xmlopen.org

Practical (Python) SAX Notes - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/08/11/py-xml.html