[XML-SIG] favicon in XBEL

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Mon Aug 2 21:17:03 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 15:57, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>
> > Are there any other missing features from XBEL that should be added
> > for XBEL 1.2?  Two things I found when checking my archives were:
> >
> > 1.  Specify how URLs should be encoded in XBEL. 2.  Some sort of
> > merge/include feature.
>    -Fred
>
> Currently I merge bookmarks from a number of browsers.  I do it with
> xslt, which also handles de-duplicating to some degree.  Good merging
> and sorting in an xbel utility would be nice.

At least a start:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/135131

> My biggest problem when working with bookmarks, and even more from sets
> of them, was the encoding of the bookmark titles.  The web pages the
> titles come from can have different encodings, and depending on the
> browser, those encodings may end up in the titles, resulting in
> inconsistent encoding.

This is clearly a bug in the browsers.  If browsers don't generate XML
in a sane manner, there really is no way to solve the resulting
problems.  I'm sure you know that, but I did have to mention this fact,
and just how big a shame it is.

Maybe we should add a para or two on the XBEL pages exhorting
implementors not to be careless with their character model.

> Well, maybe that doesn't happen so often anymore (better browsers?), but
> I had to do some hacking on the current xbel code to get it to use
> unicode and stop halting with encoding errors on titles.  I haven't had
> time to post my changes yet, but maybe in a couple of weeks ...

Well, not halting can be bad if you don't know what the encodings
actually are.  Maybe the utilities would have to take some sort of
default encoding param from the user?  But I really hate to make
crutches for such insidious problems.

Perspective on XML: Steady steps spell success with Google - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=9663
Use XML namespaces with care - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-namcar.html
Managing XML libraries - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=9160