[XML-SIG] memory related issues in Python - bug??

Andrew Clover and-xml at doxdesk.com
Tue Sep 9 20:17:50 EDT 2003

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:

> depending on what you've done with the tree before this stage
> of the processing, that may be expected, or it may be a bug in the DOM
> builder; minidom trees will normally be built pre-normalized.

Indeed. It's known that at least in the minidoms supplied with PyXML 0.6
and Python 2.0-2.2, parsing is unlikely to generate a normalised minidom
tree. This is listed as issue 22 here:

  http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/compliance.html

I don't know whether this is fully "fixed" in later versions as AFAIK
minidom has never promised to deliver a tree in normal form (only DOM Level
3 Load really makes that assertation explicit). However, I have always
received normal-form trees in PyXML 0.7+ minidoms.

> All the more reason to think there are multiple nodes involved;
> there's an increased likely hood of a buffer boundary issue cropping
> up.

I concur. Would be very surprised if this is not what's happening.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://www.doxdesk.com/