[XML-SIG] Handling of character entity references

Randall Nortman randall@wonderclown.com
Mon, 26 May 2003 10:20:22 -0500

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 03:24:44PM +0100, Tim Diggins wrote:
> It struck me that another way of looking at the reported problem is that if
> one does want to include a **character sequence** like "é" (ie the
> characters and not the entity they represent) in an XML element's content
> and then to get that back when parsed, well, then the correct solution is to
> escape the & thus: "é" within the XML element.
[...]

I had exactly the same thought, but ampersands are correctly replaced
by "&" on output, and so "é" ends up as just that in
the output, causing the browser to display the literal string
"é" rather than an e with an acute accent.

Randall Nortman