[XML-SIG] Floating exception on alpha machine

Jens Jorgen Mortensen jensj@fysik.dtu.dk
Wed, 14 May 2003 10:32:39 +0200

Martin v. L=F6wis:
> Jens Jorgen Mortensen <jensj@fysik.dtu.dk> writes:
> > I have included my best shot at a backtrace to the end of this mail.
> > I am afraid it is not very useful - the debugger reads the symbols
> > before I import xml.xpath! - how should this be done?
>
> If you can't get your debugger to load symbols for shared libraries
> afterwards, you could either try a different debugger (gdb comes to
> mind)

Here is what I get with gdb:

GNU gdb 4.17
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you =
are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditi=
ons.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for detail=
s.
This GDB was configured as "alphaev56-dec-osf4.0d"...
(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) set heuristic-fence-post 1000000
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/python2
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...Python 2.2.=
1=20
(#1, Jun  4 2002, 15:33:18) [C] on osf1V4
>>> import xml.xpath

Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.
0x1200710c8 in PyFloat_AsReprString ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x1200710c8 in PyFloat_AsReprString ()
#1  0x1200a4174 in PyNumber_Check ()
#2  0x1200a4174 in PyNumber_Check ()
#3  0x1200a43cc in PyNumber_Check ()
#4  0x1200a4bd8 in PyNumber_Multiply ()
#5  0x120074fac in PyEval_EvalCode ()
#6  0x12007c238 in PyEval_EvalCodeEx ()
#7  0x12007440c in PyEval_EvalCode ()
#8  0x12002f424 in PyImport_ExecCodeModuleEx ()
#9  0x12002fca8 in PyImport_ExecCodeModuleEx ()
#10 0x1200307bc in PyImport_ExecCodeModuleEx ()
#11 0x12002ff24 in PyImport_ExecCodeModuleEx ()

>, or you could try to link all code with the executable. For
> this, you would have to relink the python binary, after putting
> initpyexpat into config.c (pyexpat is likely the extension module for
> which it can't find the symbols).

OK, hmmm...  I will try to experiment with this some day when I have some=
=20
time.

Regards,
Jens J=F8rgen