[XML-SIG] Tim Bray on XML

Mark Bucciarelli mark@easymailings.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:49:35 -0500

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 2:01 pm, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> I hardly think there's any deep insight there for developers.

The insight I got was that when you are planning an application that will have
to parse _large_ xml files, it's not efficient to have to load the whole tree
into memory.  This makes good sense and is a common-sense counter to
XML-hype.

> Yes, Tim
> sometimes goes beyond that, but he's always been very careful to point out
> that when it's time to do full, general XML parsing, he uses a proper
> parser, just like anyone else.

That's not what he says in this article.

> Yes, SAX is a bit of a pain for anyone who thinks state diagrams are
> unfunny cartoons.  Luckily there are stream-like alternatives: XMLReader in
> libxslt and .NET, pulldom in Python (though the latter has some warts).

Someone said M$ got this right in .NET.  Would you care to elaborate on the
differences between these approaches and SAX?

Mark