[XML-SIG] SOAP, Web services, hype, and Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:45:11 +0100

Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> Michael McLay <mmclay@comcast.net> writes:
>=20
>>Am I being stubborn and they are correct, or is this stuff really
>>broken and difficult to work with?
>=20
> I think so, yes (more precisely: not broken, just ill-designed). It is
> so complex that it ain't no fun. Whenever I need RPC, I use CORBA.
>=20
>>Are web services considered a dead end in the Python community?
>=20
> I can't speak for the community in general, but I'll observe that
> people seem to contribute only things that they need in their own
> projects. So from the lack of contributions, I'd conclude that nobody
> really *needs* web services.

I'll have to object to that. Web services are in wide spread
use and the base is getting larger.

I agree that getting everything to work isn't easy, which is one of the
reasons why Tim Couper and I have developed the Siena Web Services
Architecture (http://www.siena-tech.com/) -- it basically does away
with all the complicated stuff and lets programmers think about the
services themselves rather than all the logistics that go between the
using application and the server.

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 17 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     15 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                        99 days left