[XML-SIG] [OT] Python Coding Standards

John J Lee jjl@pobox.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 21:03:45 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Michael McLay wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2003 08:43 am, John J Lee wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > > This came across Mitch Kapor's dev list.  Looked pretty well done,
> > > thought I would share it.
> >
> > LOL.  Spam about the best way to write spamming software (albeit of the
> > dead-tree variety, looking at http://www.easymailings.com/).  Actually, I
> > can't decide whether this is spam, not-spam or both-at-once...
>
> Please play nice and keep the tone civil.

Oh, sorry -- no incivility intended.  It just struck me as funny that
someone writing mass-mailing software knowingly wrote an off-topic message
here.  Would be unwise of me to be harsh about it, since I just posted two
offtopic messages myself (including this one)...

> The comment about his email address was unnecessary.

I'm confused.  That was the whole point!

> If you didn't think the content he was sharing was appropriate for the
> list then politely suggesting an appropriate mailing list is all that
> needs to said.

Well, I did do that, in addition to poking fun at Mark.  I guess I forgot
the ;-)

[...]
> It may be off topic but it isn't spam.
[...]

No, that's true, you're right.

> The subject of the message was a Python style guide used at eGroups. There is
> nothing about spam tools in the document, and eGroups is not a spam tool.

Oh, I see.  I wasn't referring to eGroups, I was referring to
easymailings.com, for whom, I assume, Mark works.  Mark added some
comments to the eGroups stuff (unless I misread the quoting...).

> > Mark: Why not post to comp.lang.python instead?  I wouldn't be surprised
> > if it generated a vigorous discussion, though I doubt many Pythonistas
> > will agree with your prescriptions.
>
> What do you mean by his "prescriptions"? The style guide provided some

Gee, I just meant 'prescriptions'.  I can see how you'd read some
harshness into my phrasing though -- sorry, none intended!

Now, I'll shut up and let this list get on with on-topic stuff.

John