[XML-SIG] Finding _xmlplus in Python 2.3a2

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:33:00 -0500

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 06:37 am, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> > Michael McLay <mclay@nist.gov> writes:
> > > It's getting down to the wire on the 2.3 release. Perhaps it would
> > > be a good idea to raise the subject on python-dev.
> >
> > I don't think anything can or should be done in this respect. What
> > precisely are you proposing (i.e. what specific changes to Python cor=
> > do you suggest?)
>
> I'd say, since the parsers and sax and minidom are already part of the
> core distribution from a user's point of view, moving these components
> into the core also for maintenance. The XML-SIG can still maintain
> these and feed patches, but it wouldn't distribute it as part of
> PyXML. If really really necessary the XML-SIG could even distribute
> this as a *separate* package from PyXML that overrides the core 'xml'
> stuff containing only upgrades of what is in the core, not new
> functionality, but only if it's extremely clear that this is going to
> happen to those who install it and developers. And I suspect that the
> mentioned systems are mature enough not to need this anyway; bugfixes c=
an
> just go in Python bugfix releases.

I agree. PyXML was set up to develope XML capabilities for Python. It was=
 my=20
understanding that as the packages matured they would be moved into the=20
standard distribution. A new release of Python is about to happen and if=20
there is work in PyXML that should be checked into the Python distributio=
n,=20
then it needs to be done soon.